Friday, September 21, 2007

Assignment #3 response

Getting "rid" of the binary gender system? Making the assumption that this is well thought out and the information/awareness is out there that everyone is educated in what other genders lie out there. I do not believe that society should be harmed or helped by this. However, if this were to happen stereotyping and more than likely a few negative stigmas would apply to those select few born with unique gender traits. That is to say if we would make it so that children born with whatever traits grew up naturally well. I have to say that I believe this is ridiculous when reading about the standards that newborns are measured against and the manner in which they are handled upset me. I will admit I hadn't really thought about it but this upset me just like it upsets me when people are judged by superficial characteristics. The only bad that could come from "allowing" other genders would be by those who have the power to oppress saying that this is bad. The only evil that could come from eliminating the binary gender system is the negativity that would come from those who will not and could not possibly accept it. I think that in large part we will always recognize the "two main" genders as male female and those anomalies that lie somewhere else in the spectrum well they are still human right? This I think would be good for society only because if we are forced to interact with unusual people and come out of that experience with the understanding that they are just that people then maybe it will help us see other people as just that people.


As far as it affecting me well I don't know if I pretend that we have allowed the binary gender system to dissolve for 3 decades before my birth I could see myself as being affected if lets say I start a relationship with an individual that falls in one of the interesting categories of gender. Then perhaps I see myself as being judged or otherwise demeaned. Or if my child was born this way I would be grateful (hopefully) that my child would at least be given the choice to live as they chose whether that be to remain natural or change one way or the other. Aside from this I don't think it would affect me for good or worse because male assholes are no different than female assholes which I would assume are no different than any other combination of asshole. Or nice person if you prefer.

2 comments:

amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amanda said...

excellent discussion, and good critical thinking. :)