Friday, September 28, 2007

unpacking the napsack

Laying myself out:
Male
Average Height
Average Athleticism
Typical Hair
Darkish skin
Half Mexican Half Canadian (directly anyways)
Not quite sure what I actually look like however been mistaken for middle-eastern, half black, half whatever else,
I speak English and Spanish fluently


I would say that like everything in life there is a compromising state. That is to say while our superficial privileges are just that, superficial, and barring extremes of the stigmas associated with your appearance "meritocracy" can and hopefully does apply. What I am saying is that in my life I have experienced many interesting things, some of which have been very hurtful but in the end have taught me alot about the nature of people. I have found that before people get to know me I am judged based on my perceived status. This could get really annoying seeing as this means that even though I am in my opinion of at least average intelligence and comparable to any other person who managed to get into the University of Colorado, I have to go a few extra steps to be equal in perception.Sometimes I have found myself working harder than my white peers for the same results as in hospital care, work positions, or peers opinions.

However, I do not have to worry about there being a ramp or other handicap accessible features at a building or location I have never been too.

I do not have to worry about being tall enough to reach into cabinets at a normal house

I do not have to worry about whether or not I can communicate with and get my point across to the majority of people I will encounter during my daily routines.

I do not have to worry about whether or not I will have a home to go to.

I do not have to worry about having an amorous relationship with a girl.

I do not have to worry about being labeled or stigmatized as a homosexual.

I do not have to worry about being charged for two seats at an airline.

I do not have to think about what condition my body will be in next week.

I do not have to worry about being mistaken for a terrorist. (usually)


If anything I have realized that while I do have many privileges I have to overcome first impressions before I am regarded as equal to my white peers. As sad as it is to admit it even for me it takes me a while to exemplify my skills and prove that I am an equal. Whereas they have to prove that they do not merit this status before it is taken away. I do appreciate not being paralyzed, not being extremely short, not being obese, not being many many many things, because these things allow me to work towards being someone fairly easily. While the color of my skin may hinder me in some places in a few aspects for the most part it requires a few utterances from me to show people who I am. For this I am Grateful. I do understand that I am very lucky as far as being a perfectly normal human being again I just wish we all could be given the same chance to be deemed idiots or people worth knowing.

1 comment:

amanda said...

GREAT post. really, really interesting analysis of the way privilege plays out both for and against you. by the way, i really appreciated your comments in class last tuesday -- i thought they were very insightful and helpful in clarifying a lot of what we were talking about. it's good for people who don't have to deal with some of the issues you talk about in this post (e.g. the need to prove yourself rather than being granted a status based on skin color) to gain a better understanding of these issues.

thanks again, great job.