Friday, September 28, 2007

Assignment # 5

I Missed class on Thursday and therefore I do not know exactly what the conversation on Thursday was like. Does our culture promote rape? I would say that the word promote is a little strong. Promote is almost synonymous to condone and I have yet to meet someone who has not viewed rape as one of the worst things one can do or have done to you. However, we are shown day to day that men's biological drives are insatiable and are taught that it is OK to acknowledge your sexuality and are also barraged with women in the media as sex objects which may encourage some to step over the line and the line to be blurred. Sometimes I hear stories about guys bitching for sex until girls just say OK or even guys in relationships doing likewise . I guess I'm saying I do not know how I feel about the statement. I could argue that the media devalues women etc, but we are the media aren't we. I believe that we should be at a point where we can control our urges. We all have urges sexual and food wise and otherwise we all have urges. Perhaps it is not that society promotes rape I would say that weak people with no game and a hedonistic attitude use propaganda to fulfill their sick needs. I am curious to see what a statistical analysis would say if it is people in lower class upper class history of violence in family etc... I am going to go with my first instinct and say that when people with strong urges find an excuse through what they see in society as OK then they will be more likely to act out these urges. Therefore I believe that while society does not promote rape it does facilitate an excuse for rape and indeed for some be an excuse for rape.

1 comment:

amanda said...

excellent discussion. i agree that the word facilitate makes more sense. thank you for your comments - this was a very insightful post and will be helpful for me when we have another discussion about gendered violence in a couple weeks.