Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Assignment 7 reaction to part 1

This article by Michael Scherer assumes that Women are not suppose to take control, don't set goals, cry, scared of war, family oriented, nurturing, self-depreciating, soft, tender, gracious, warm, and want to work together doing "soul searching." The men love guns, safaris, war, chain-saws, take control, could care less about his damn family, stand up to bullies, in your face, know-it-all, and strong enough to push buttons (apparently).

I got pretty irritated with this article simply because I know these type of articles play a significant role in the candidacy race and they keep important issues in the shadows. I just know that people will pick this up and run with it drawing who knows what conclusions for not very well founded reasons. However, it does interest me as to why these issues are issues and what they imply for the "common man."

I think it is strange that this article states that Barack Obama, one of the only melanin rich people ever to be considered for the presidency, is being called one of the most feminine candidates. Is this because it is better to be a feminine black guy than it is to be a hyper macho black guy? Does it hold true even in the higher ranks of society that the manly black dude will be seen as violent or over stimulated whatever making up for blah blah blah. I don't understand this. Up until I read this article I hadn't even thought about this gender issue. Now I'm reading these political cartoons that make me question the society I live in. The more I analyze everything around me with the intention of finding someone doing something wrong I do, and it makes me angry. Hilary is said to be overcompensating, my question is for what? For being female? That is absolute bullshit. Why would being feminine or masculine matter? In my opinion this is just as stupid as voting always republican or democrat or whatever, look at the issues you want dealt with look at how the politicians have dealt with them and vote accordingly. Hilary in my opinion is strong-willed, apt to attack problems aggressively, and has previous experience with the requirements of being president (her husband remember him). Her actions in the senate, as a lawyer, as the first lady, and as a wife should be what you look at not her freakin' gender traits. I guess it just makes me laugh when I read phrases like, ""The decision to go to war is not a sport," he[Obama] tells crowds, rejecting the male metaphor." The male what now? I almost want to put this with the writings of ann coulter something you might read but wouldn't even consider responding to. It is articles like this that I hope everyone ignores even though in reality it is articles like this that need to be countered intelligently and eloquently something I wish I could do.

1 comment:

amanda said...

you did counter this article eloquently and intellectually! great post!! i really like your point about obama playing down his masculinity in response to the fear of having an over-masculine black man in the running, and the implications that might have. really excellent analysis. i think you should definitely feel like you can respond to articles like this one -- your passion and insights are right on target!