Thursday, October 18, 2007

Last blog assignment response

"performances" meaning we are always performing? I would agree with this as we all grow up with dislikes and like that we may feel we have come to on our own but providing a different environment would we like and be different. Resistance? well I dunno I read a study somewhere at some point that supports that exposure even saying that you believe in something eventually leads you to uphold it. I think the example was writing in support of tuition hikes. What I am saying is that there is always to sides to a story and both should and I think obviously do have valid points even if only in their own minds (from your point of view.) So whereas some say challenge these stereotypes and do this and that well for most of us including me life will be alot easier if I just pretend which I do to like sports to the point of murder:-) motorcycles cars and other things whichever your gender may be. I don't want to fake anything extreme which I would say I don't and that only means I am fortunate enough to have a mind pliable enough for society. In other words I grew up being shown certain things and I can adapt to situations and if I find myself with people I don't like I might say sexist things etc... even if I don't mean it and this in my opinion makes me a bad person but a healthy unhit bad person. I have stood up for things and resisted but comments like I think I could have sex with a man but don't want to cause y'all will look at me like a queer, well that I will just keep to myself. Any other thoughts I have I do share with my closest friends because that is why they are my closest friends they are like me. I have taken a lot from this class and have changed a few things I do everyday and how I look at the things I do everyday. I have stopped making references to homosexuals in a negative manner and did try to hang out with two girls without thinking about anything sex related which was hard but in the end a great experience apparently girls like a guy who can cook. What I am saying is that while we are all shaped in ways we cannot imagine (my catholic upbringing left me pretty weird in the values v morals category) we are given the chance, to with knowledge and the right privilege knapsack, look around and see things as a whole. That is what I appreciate most about this class is that it has presented a radical point of view to me which I am still slowly taking in. I went back and re-read a few articles and find that now I understand that they are saying much better. I do however think I might be placing myself too high in my own mind. I often get frustrated in class and got to the point of not wanting to speak just because if I would have opened my mouth I might have screamed. It is startling to me to see in class when you are trying to make a point clear then ask a question and get a response from left field. Patience is good and I think it just made it clear that while in general people are not evil all of us to an extent have thoughts and notions that harm the people around us without knowing it. Some people are incapable of seeing things from another perspective and these people are the ones that propagate negativity even if they do not realize it. Back to the original question Resisting forces? I don't know I guess I have always been pretty athletic had steady girlfriends and the like so I fit in without thinking twice and I have resisted hyper masculinity. Simply because of the example my grandparents set I also grew up in a horrible ghastly environment so I have always respected women and rejected the notion that men are better in any way as I also have 3 younger sisters and a younger brother so in that regards I would say I am at least neutral. And living in the U.S. during this time period well being of Mexican descent has its advantages I know Spanish and can speak to many people others can't but I have experienced some extreme racism and other borderline things. I also have to deal with jokes from everyone around me about stereotypes like I bought a knife after my friend got mugged just cause and now I'm a gangsta' etc... I also was arrested at CU while installing my own stereo in my car, I have been told in the library after spending almost an entire day there when my laptop died that only students should be there, I was wearing a Piazanos shirt so dunno. Things like this well they get to me but the majority of people I hang out with are great so I won't complain until I have to. I did get a lawyer for the arresting incident but the officers covered their tracks well and I didn't make it to trial. Who I am? Caring, passionate, and tired. Oh and also the last blog I was just bitter because we had a group of people come in at work who had just gotten out of a GLBT meeting and as soon as they left there were more jokes made than I could stand and did yell at a few people. Even thinking now I don't think I like even thinking about the categories and stereotypes. Also on the choice of sexual orientation and gender I do think most of us can chose and a few would feel utterly one way or the other like I tried to show with people who amputate limbs because they feel they don't belong on their bodies. There is a current study going on that is looking for "homosexual genes" and well the studies among fraternal and identical twins are also interesting. Maybe there are many born homosexual who are only homosexual and some born straight that could only be straight but I still say that most are capable of forming any kind of relationship in the right environment. That is if you believe everything is socially constructed. Who is to say that those who claim that they feel gay are gay and always have been gay did not just arrive to that conclusion because from the time they picked up a barbie at three this is how their parents raised them. In what way does it make sense that even a "homosexual" 3 year old knows that gays play with barbies? Now that I think about it that doesn't make sense at all. Wouldn't someone who prefer men want to play with men? GI Joes etc... How does a gay male damn it I assumed again... male male male sorry. How does a homosexual male know to play with barbies and like pink and then tie this to sexual relations? Why does a homosexual have to act like the opposite gender in order to like the same gender? blah...

No comments: